Capannone del Redentore
7 Nights -
Add to Wish List
Ease into the Venice lifestyle like a duck takes to water in this remarkable new property with its own indoor pool!
Assuring peace and tranquility and yet oh-so-centrally placed beside Palladio’s Church of the Redentore (‘Il Redentore’) on the island of Giudecca (so just a quick hop across the water from the Zattere, Dorsoduro and St. Mark’s), Capannone del Redentore is a Venice home with no equal and is, without a doubt, a truly eye-popping surprise…
Thought to have started life as a warehouse belonging to the monastery of the Capuchin monks of the Redentore during the time of the Serenissima Republic of Venice, and now transformed into a strikingly unique yet quietly luxurious living and leisure space, this stylish conversion sleeps up to 6 guests in 3 bedroomed accommodation surrounding the pool.
Visible in a number of paintings and engravings of the Redentore by artists including Canaletto and Guardi, and reinvented with exceptional originality and the utmost respect for the materials used in its original construction – think gorgeous bare brickwork and pine wood from the Dolomite mountains later supplemented with chestnut wood from Galicia in northern Spain - the fabulous 2-storey accommodation with Wi-Fi comprises –
• A discreet little doorway * right on Campo Del Redentore which opens to reveal a magical Mediterranean-style secret courtyard garden - a patch of pure bliss amidst the paving stones of Giudecca planted with lemon trees, olive trees, jujube, pomegranate and vines, and delicately scented with jasmine, rosemary and assorted herbs
A further entrance into -
• Capannone’s main air-conditioned warehouse space with its sensational vaulted and galleried open-plan living and leisure area – a triumph in tawny timber and handsome high-end neutrals comprising a
12m x 3m indoor and oxygen maintained swimming pool running along the centre of the space (1.10m depth throughout and with a countercurrent swimming device plus a sculptural elephant water fountain at one corner. The pool can be heated to approx. 20º-25º during spring and summer and to approx. 18º in winter)
A sitting-cum-relaxation area along one side with subtle lighting and a series of inbuilt banquettes for poolside lounging
Tables, chairs and further seating along the opposite side of the pool
• A home cinema / TV area offering satellite channels and Netflix located at the farthest end of the space and open to the pool area
• A service bathroom with shower and Turkish Bath (sauna)
• A compact, well-equipped and air-conditioned kitchen/breakfast room should you fancy flexing your culinary muscles!
• 2 air-conditioned double bedrooms situated near Capannone’s entrance, each with a double bed (which can be prepared as twins but not completely separated **), a desk area, satellite TV and a smart en-suite bathroom with bathtub, shower and separate bidet and w.c.
Stairs leading up to the open galleried level above and
• A further cosy sitting area, attractively furnished and with ample seating
• An extensive library gallery area running along one side
• A 3rd bedroom area with seating and a double bed (which again can be prepared as twins but not completely separated **) linked to a stylish bathroom suite with Jacuzzi. Note that the bathroom suite can be made private by a folding wooden door-height screen
• An intimate dining area seating up to 6
(This further sitting area, bedroom area and dining area also benefit from the effects of air-conditioning thanks to the open-plan nature of the main air-conditioned warehouse space)
* Please bear in mind that although the garden entrance and the entrance leading directly into the property are private and used only by guests of Capannone Del Redentore, its courtyard garden is adjoined to & overlooked by the garden / pergola belonging to the neighbouring property sitting just to the front
** Simply let us know your preferences when booking
Have a swimmingly good stay just beside the Redentore!
… A wonderful wood-enrobed warehouse conversion and, to the best of our knowledge, the only privately owned property in Venice’s historical centre fortunate enough to feature an indoor swimming pool of this size.
Within a stone’s throw of the upscale restaurants of the famous Hotel Cipriani (Oro and Cip’s Club) on the trendy and laid-back island of Giudecca (where Sir Elton John has a home and which remains peaceful apart from during the spectacular Festa Del Redentore! ***) and only minutes by vaporetto (water bus) to the Zattere in Dorsoduro and to the thrill and excitement of Piazza San Marco.
A delightful waterside amble to Harry’s Dolci for a spot of refined summertime canal-side dining beneath bright white canopies, to the Hilton Molino Stucky’s Aromi and Bacaromi restaurants and Skyline Rooftop Bar with its sweeping panoramic views of Venice across the glittering Giudecca Canal, and to the showroom of the historic Fortuny factory close by.
Near to a host of small local shops for all your self-catering needs - including a Prix supermarket near Redentore and a Coop supermarket near Palanca – and to a variety of traditional bars and restaurants including the well-regarded Ai Cacciatore, La Palanca and the family-run Altanella with its pretty outdoor terrace.
*** The Festa Del Redentore - one of the Venetians' best-loved events which takes place annually on the 3rd Sunday in July and the Saturday evening before. A wonderful celebration which came into being as a feast to give thanks for the end of the plague of 1575 and for which a pontoon bridge is built between the Zattere in Dorsoduro and the Church of the Redentore on Giudecca. At sunset on the Saturday a large number of decorated boats begin congregating in St Mark's Basin and residents and visitors line the lantern-strung waterfronts to party, eat traditional food and to wait for the fireworks to begin (a truly breathtaking display which begins at 11.30pm and lasts until after midnight). A very special evening full of Venetian atmosphere followed on the Sunday by church services and a regatta on the Giudecca Canal!