Ca' Del Glicine Terrace
A handsome Venetian hideaway with sleepy canal views and a suntrap of a terrace bordering Cannaregio and Castello
Beloved childhood home of its distinguished artist owner whose grandfather built this wonderful and very dignified property in the 1920s, Ca’ Del Glicine – ‘House of the Wisteria’ – sleeps 10 in the lap of luxury within a refined and genteel setting of tall ceilings, pretty stuccoes, art deco parquet flooring and celebrated artwork.
Lovingly renovated with integrity and soul, and displaying all the hallmarks of impeccable taste and understated elegance throughout, Ca’ Del Glicine is on the 2nd floor reached by stairs.
Showcasing all the latest home comforts and first-rate facilities including sparkling bathrooms, Wi-Fi, and luxurious bedrooms which are as spacious and welcoming as they are well-appointed, all rooms have individually controlled air-conditioning and radiate from a central inner hallway hung with original art and where a formal dining table for 10 sits beneath a gleaming chandelier.
Starting our property tour here, the surrounding accommodation comprises:
• A gorgeous main sitting room in chic neutral colours with plump sofas for lounging, a handy separate bathroom, and glazed double doors opening onto a dreamy and romantic south-facing furnished terrace offering landside views to the spires of Santi Giovanni e Paolo and which, when in season, is clad in the lush and leafy wisteria the owner remembers as a boy
• A smart fully fitted kitchen/breakfast room with integrated appliances and a service bathroom to the side (w.c. and wash hand basin)
• 5 double bedrooms (all the double beds can be made into twins - simply ask when booking), each splendidly attired in plush fabrics and fine furnishings – 3 enjoying views over the ‘Rio De La Panada’ canal (1 with a balcony) and 1 with a balcony looking towards Campiello Widmann
2 of the canal-facing bedrooms can be joined together to form a larger unit and all bedrooms have their own immaculately presented en suite bathroom with large shower or bathtub with shower over
• A small personal gym with a top-of the-range running machine, exercise bike, weights machine and its own separate bathroom with shower
• A further bathroom with shower on the apartment landing
• A ground floor utility room with washing machine and separate tumble dryer completes the accommodation
An exceptional property for friends and larger gatherings in one of the prettiest and most authentic locations in the whole of Venice… a true delight!
A short walk from the Rialto Bridge and 'T Fondaco Dei Tedeschi' luxury department store (with its remarkable rooftop terrace with views) via the charming little square known as Campo Santa Maria Nova (home to the dainty jewel-box church of Santa Maria Dei Miracoli), and within minutes of the imposing Dominican Basilica di Santi Giovanni e Paolo – one of the largest churches in Venice and burial place of no fewer than 25 Venetian Doges.
Close to a number of highly regarded restaurants including Ostaria Boccadoro just in the Campiello, Algiubagio with its delightful over-water terrace, the tucked away Osteria Alla Frasca, and Osteria di Santa Marina with its upmarket vibe.
Also within easy reach of the shops and cafes of Santi Apostoli and the Strada Nova, and the Coop supermarkets at Campo Santa Marina and Rio Tera Santi Apostoli.
A gentle stroll to the ‘Fondamente Nove’ on Venice’s northern waterfront (with no bridges to cross in between) – location of the Alilaguna boat stop connecting Venice with Marco Polo International Airport, and the vaporetto (water bus) departure point for the glass-making island of Murano, the rainbow-coloured island of Burano, and the peaceful island of Torcello and its 7th-century Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta.